On Sat 10th March, the club is holding a Practical Planning Day at Southampton City Scout Group's campsite at Wilverley, New Forest.
The Day is primarily aimed at members new to planning or who have planned some events and wish to extend their knowledge.
More experienced planners are very welcome and may wish to contribute their expertise.
The concept is to tailor the day to meet the needs of those attending with a focus on:
1. Understanding the brief. What does the Planner do? What do the Technical Difficulty levels mean and what to aim for in terms of Technical Difficulty and length for each course.
2. Condes. How to use Condes planning software to design courses and handle the administration of the planning process.
3. The forest. How to identify good control sites and mark them. How to deal with Out Of Bounds areas and potential hazards.
4. Delivery. Identifying which controls to use, getting them out and back in. Interaction with the mapper, organiser, controller and printer.
We have the use of one of the Campsite buildings for the day. This provides a meeting room, kitchen and toilet and direct access to the mapped area of Wilverley.
If you are interested in attending, please contact Terry Smith* by Sat 3rd March to reserve a place and raise any specific topics you would like to cover.
Directions and further details will be sent out nearer the time to those who have booked places.
The Day is free to SOC members.
* terrysmith<$$$>compuserve.com (substitute @ for <$$$>)